Quality skylight domes are made of acrylic and polycarbonate, in most cases. So, what causes damage to skylight domes and how can you replace one of these domes?
If you are searching for “how to replace a skylight dome“, we’re here to help!
Ways To Replace A Skylight Dome
Here is the best way to replace a typical skylight dome:
- Start by drilling the rivet out.
- Remove all existing trims on the skylight.
- Pull off the existing (broken) skylight dome.
- Replace the broken skylight dome.
- Then replace the removed trims.
- Rivet the trims back together.
Here is the best way to replace a traditional frame and dome:
- Remove either the rivets or screw first.
- Lift the frame and dome entirely.
- Replace it with a new (traditional) frame and dome.
- Rivet the new frame/dome so that it matches the old one.
How can you replace your dome with a framed sky window and glass? Follow these tips:
- Entirely remove the frame and dome.
- Make modifications, if necessary.
- Custom fit your brand new frame window and glass.
- Rivet the new skylight window frame.
What Causes Damage To Skylight Domes?
Several different weather situations can damage your skylight domes, making a replacement necessary. Here are a few of those situations:
- Wind: Wind can change how any hailstorm reacts to the impacted area. Wind can change the speed at which the hail falls.
- Hail: The size of the hail is the biggest issue here. Hail can cause noticable damage to your skylights.
- Roofing Material: Some materials have the ability to absorb the impact of hailstorms. Hail can permanently dent metal roofing. Tile roofs do protect well against hailstorms.
- Glass: Only bigger, more intense hailstorms have been shown to break glass.
- Polymer: These domed skylights can withstand smaller/medium-sized storms. However, all materials are likely to be damaged during large hailstorms.